How do we grow a truly beautiful mane and tail? Like humans, some horses naturally have good hair genes, but what if your horse is a bit sparse in the mane and tail department? You will be happy to hear there is hope! ALL horses can grow a healthier, more luscious mane and tail with these horse grooming tips!
- Shine from the inside out: First things first! A healthy mane and tail always begins with a good horse feeding program. If your horse is not receiving the proper nutrition, no amount of mane and tail products will be able help. Healthy hair comes from protein, amino acids, vitamins, and Omega 3 Fatty Acids. Consider supplementing your horse with a Flax product such as Manna Pro Simply Flax, rich in Omega 3's to help get those mane and tail hairs growing strong!
- Ditch the hair brush! Yes, a hair brush can actually hurt your horse's hair more than help... you will end up pulling, breaking and ripping hair out rather than detangling. Always use your fingers and a detangling product (we like Corona Detangler & Shine) to detangle all knots. Is your horse's tail too muddy to manage? Give it a nice rinse before attempting to detangle.
- Stimulate growth: How can we stimulate hair growth? Swiftly brush the dock of your horse's tail with a dandy brush. This will not only help remove dirt and dander, but will help increase blood flow which stimulates growth.
- Determine reasons for rubbing: If you notice your horse is rubbing their mane or tail, determine the reason why he may be doing so. Common reasons include; parasites, skin reactions from biting insects, or an infection or fungus. Be sure your horse is on a regular de-worming schedule, is protected with insect repellents, and all of his skin irritations are treated. Consult with your veterinarian if you see anything out of the ordinary.
- Bathe your horse: Bathe your horse in a pH-balanced horse shampoo about every 2 weeks. Be cautious not to over bathe your horse, over bathing your horse will strip the natural oils from his coat. In between washes you may want to consider washing just your horse's tail. Our Corona Concentrated Horse Shampoo has a lanolin protein-enriched formula to help strengthen your horse's mane and tail, and adds a healthy shine to your horse's coat.
- Moisturize: After bathing your horse, be sure to throughly moisturize areas prone to dry skin. Applying a moisturizing product will help prevent hair loss due to rubbing and get rid of unsightly dander.
- Avoid sheen products containing alcohol: Several horse sheen products on the market today contain alcohol. Although alcohol works great on tangles, it causes mane and tail hairs to become brittle and frayed. If you must use an alcohol based product, be sure to rinse your horse's tail out afterwords!
- Prevent Sun Bleaching: For those of us with dark haired horses, we know how hard it can be to prevent the sun bleaching of manes and tails. Besides keeping your horse stalled during the hottest times of day, apply Corona Detangler & Shine to the mane and tail daily. Corona Detangler contains special ingredients allowing it to act as a UV barrier to help prevent sun bleaching!
- Use a tail bag: Do you own a tail swisher? Most of us do! Use a tail bag or wrap to protect your horse's tail during fly season. Be sure to provide your horse with some type of swatter to battle biting insects.
- Avoid wrapping the top of your horse’s tail: Wrapping the top of your horse's tail may cut off circulation or may irritate your horse encouraging him to rub his tail. Click here to learn how to properly wrap or tie-up tails.
With these 10 tips and Corona Detangler & Shine, you will be ready to take on your horse's mane, tail and the heat of summer!
Corona Detangler & Shine:
- Acts as a UV barrier to help prevent from the sun-bleaching of manes and tails
- Quickly loosens tangles and leaves a soft, smooth, and shiny finish
- Helps repel dust, dirt, and stains to keep your horse looking its best
- Does not contain alcohol like other sheen products, ensuring no moisture is lost during the detangling process!
Check out what other horse owners have to say about Corona Detangler & Shine!
“Totally the best on the market!” - Ashlee B.
“Worked wonderfully! Still doing its job even after a week of pasture conditions including a snow storm and wind knots! Very, very pleased with how well it worked to not only remove tangles but to prevent them. Also love the natural shine it left on the hair coat! Not oily, greasy or slippery at all!” - Beth W.
Find me on:
- Equine Nutrition
- Ask The Experts
- Equine Health
- Equine Conditions
- Fly Control
- Wound & Skin Care
- Leather Care
- Barn & Stable
- Horse Care
- Just For Fun
- Hoof Care
- supplements horses
- Broodmares & Foals
- Senior Horse Care
- Joint Care
- Natural Horsecare
- Success Stories
- fly spray
- Equine Health Care
- Horse Liniments
- Weight gain
- Equine Rescues
- Stable Management